Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Triathlon in St. Augustine

My friend Anissa talked me into doing a triathlon in St. Augustine a few weeks ago. It was one of my "un-committed" New Year's Resolutions, so I thought I'd go for it -- it was now or never (at least in 2007 considering my new condition). Somehow when we signed up for the race, April 21st, seemed like a long time away, but when it came down to it, it was only about three weeks. Our first swim took place just one week before the race, so needless to say, we were a little anxious about how the race would go and wondering what we'd gotten ourselves into. It was supposed to be a 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 5K run. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately, in our case), a Noreaster blew in and the ocean was CRAZY! The waves were just churning and the white caps were huge! They cancelled the swimming part the morning of the race and replaced it with a 2 mile run...

The start of the race

The runs were on the beach, which we hadn't anticipated. Although a little bit more work, it also gave us some scenery to look at. After our first 2 miles, we were off to our bikes...


And now the final 5K!

(Notice the choppy waves in the background)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dan and Van, :). I'm really commenting on the baby blog, but I guess I missed it. I'm super pumped though for you guys to be having your first child and first house! That's going to be so awesome. Thanks for being proactive about keeping in touch.

your buddy from the days of yor,
JD