Monday, June 21, 2010

Zoo Delight

As we pulled up to the entrance to the zoo, Josh squealed and exclaimed in his happiest voice, "Yay, zoo!  Yay!"  Dan and I thought our hearts would burst.  It brings such joy to give your children something that brings such pure delight.

One thing I love about my toddlers is that they have no awareness of self.  They don't try to restrain their emotions according to social norms.  They cry, shout, clap, love, wave, whine, and laugh as they feel it.  It's genuine, real, raw.  While learning to control their emotions is an important skill as they get older, I'm NOT looking forward to them becoming aware of themselves and self-conscious.  I dread those wounds to their hearts that are an inevitable part of growing up.  I hate that those experiences will shape them and influence how they express themselves.  And, I hope that our family will always be a place where they are free to express who they really are.

Yet, I know there are lessons to be learned in the hurts that will come.  Hardships draw us to God and help us learn the valuable traits of finding our security in Him alone, being steadfast, loving our enemies, and so much more.  It will break our hearts, but hopefully will make both us as parents and our children draw close to God for comfort that only He can give.

No comments: